Home. Gas Services. Heating. Plumbing. Gas Safety. Landlord. Contact Us.
Home       Gas Services       Plumbing       Heating       Gas Safety     Landlord     About Us      Contact Us      About Us       Testimonials
Copyright © 2013   -   Paul the Gas Man

Website Design by Happy Websites
Gas Safety Checks and Inspections
What does a Gas Safety Check Cover?
        Check appliance for gas tightness

       Check standing and working gas pressures

       Check burner pressure and gas rate against manufacturers data plate

       Check for satisfactory provision of necessary ventilation

       Test flue to ensure removal of products of combustion

       Check safe operation of all flame failure devices

       Investigate any evidence of unsafe operation and report to a responsible person

       An approved / audible Carbon monoxide Alarm complying with BS EN 50291
        must be fitted within the room/space where the gas appliances are installed    

For a Landlords Safety Inspection a tightness test of the full system will be added to the above.

What does a Gas Safety Inspection involve?

What do we do during a gas safety inspection?

In general terms we assess your installation and appliances for dangers, both present and potential.  This largely involves checking the gas pipework is not leaking, checking appliances have been installed and are operating safely, and checking flues and ventilation are adequate and are operating effectively.

What are we looking for?

Primarily, danger to life or property, or conditions where appliances or installations could deteriorate.  We do this by standard checks, tests, and comparing against the gas regulations, British Standards, and manufacturer’s instructions.

What will your record of inspection include?

Most installations and appliances are declared as safe, but most will also have some fault(s) noted. This is often because regulations and standards have been (and most likely will continue to be) revised upwards since it was installed.

These faults fall into three categories; Not to Current Standard; At Risk; and Immediately Dangerous.

Not To Current Standard

The gas appliance or installation is not installed in accordance with current installation practise.  It is safe, but it is up to us to advise you on whether you should bring it up to standard. As it is safe, you would receive certification stating this.

At Risk

These are fairly serious faults with the potential to become dangerous.   An example given by Gas Safe Register is the use of plastic or hose pipe instead of the appropriate materials for the gas pipework.  These faults would attract a notification of an unsafe installation, and a warning notice.

Immediately Dangerous

Fairly self explanatory, something is dangerous.  An example could be a gas leak.  These faults would also attract a notification of an unsafe installation, and a warning notice.

Give us a call, on 07754 595875, or an email.  We can often organise for the Inspection directly with your tenants, saving you time making repeat phone calls to co-ordinate a time to suit both parties.

How do I arrange an Inspection?
What is The Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is the new hallmark for gas safety in Great Britain. From April 1st 2009, Gas Safe Register replaces the CORGI gas registration as the official gas safety body.

So, from 1st April, by law, only Gas Safe registered engineers should carry out work on gas appliances or installations in your home.

Why do I need to use a Gas Safe registered engineer? It’s all about safety. To make sure that gas appliances such as boilers, fires, ovens and hobs are installed, maintained and serviced safely you should employ a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out the work.

If someone other than a Gas Safe registered engineer does the gas work in your home, you could be risking the safety of your family and your property.

How do I check my engineer is Gas Safe registered? Always ask for the card. All Gas Safe registered engineers have an ID card with their licence number and a photograph. The licence number is easily verified on the website or by phone and we will get back to you with confirmation of the engineer’s name.

You can find out more about the Gas Safe Register by clicking here or on their logo above to visit the Gas Safe Register Website.

Do you let or rent a property?

Are you a landlord or letting agent? Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of tenants. So, to make sure any property you own is safe, all appliances must have a safety check carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You must give your tenant a record of that safety check within 28 days or to a new tenant before they move in. Remember you must keep a record of each safety check for two years.

Letting agents need to be sure of exactly who is managing the gas duties at all properties. If it’s contractually your responsibility, then the same conditions apply to you as that of the landlord.

Are you living in a rented property? As a tenant, it is important to always check the ID of any gas engineer that comes to do work at your property. From 1 April 2009, the engineer must be a Gas Safe registered engineer.

It’s in your best interest to co-operate with the landlord whenever a gas safety check or maintenance needs to be carried out by letting the engineer in to do the work. Remember, if you think a gas appliance is faulty turn it off and let your landlord know immediately.

In an emergency: If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak: turn off the gas at the meter, extinguish naked flames, open windows and leave the area. Seek medical advice if you feel unwell. Call the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999.

Make sure that your new Home is gas safe!

Homebuyers cannot always be sure when the gas appliances in their new home were last safety checked and serviced. I can offer a full gas check survey, maybe before you buy !

Ask your vendor for an annual gas safety record which shows that a Gas Safe registered engineer has checked the gas appliances.

If your vendor cannot supply an up to date annual gas safety record, you should get a Gas Safe registered engineer to check the gas appliances before you move in. This check should include the gas boiler, oven, hob and gas fires. The registered engineer will give the vendor a gas safety record which they should handover to you before you move in. Why not get the plumbing checked at the same time?

Better Gas Safe than sorry! Poorly maintained or badly fitted gas appliances can put you at risk from gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.

We specialise in providing Landlord Gas Safety CP12 Inspections and Certificates and Home Gas Safety Inspections. We offer a professional service and advice to private landlords, homeowners, buyers and letting agents.

Private Landlords letting either residential properties or holiday cottages or caravans require to have an annual Gas Safety Check and hold a current valid certificate for each property they let.

We provide Gas Safety Checks and Inspections in Teignmouth, Dawlish, Exeter, Kenton, Newton Abbot, Torquay and throughout many of the towns, villages and country areas of South Devon.

Carbon Monoxide Safety

We also supply and fit Carbon Monoxide detectors for your safety.

You can read more about Carbon Monoxide on the Be Carbon Monoxide Aware Website by clicking here or on the Be Carbon Monoxide Aware Logo.